PlanPhilly

Look Up! Greek Revival marries Victorian Gothic at Broad and Pine

    • The Greek Revival façade at Broad and Pine Sts. has been a city landmark since 1824.
      The Greek Revival façade at Broad and Pine Sts. has been a city landmark since 1824.
    • The north and south wings were built by William Strickland in the 1830s.
      The north and south wings were built by William Strickland in the 1830s.
    • Frank Furness added the Victorian Gothic additions that extended the building to 15th Street.
      Frank Furness added the Victorian Gothic additions that extended the building to 15th Street.
    • Pitched roofs, gables, dormers, and corbelled chimneys adorn the sections designed by Furness.
      Pitched roofs, gables, dormers, and corbelled chimneys adorn the sections designed by Furness.
    • The Furness-designed carriage house now serves as a sculpture studio.
      The Furness-designed carriage house now serves as a sculpture studio.
  • Previous
  • Next

“Look Up!” is a PlanPhilly feature that encourages appreciation of our architectural and historical environment. The photo essays focus on different Philadelphia areas and their distinctive building styles and details, all of which make up the physical fabric of the city and region.

Three of the city and nation’s greatest architects contributed to the building now known as the Dorrance Hamilton Hall of the University of the Arts.

The first and most prominent section went up in the 1820s, when the intersection of Broad and Pine Streets was a rural haven far removed from the hubbub of the city center at 5th and Chestnut.

John Haviland, who had built the Eastern State Penitentiary, a model for prison design around the 19th-century world, was commissioned to build the Pennsylvania Institution for the Deaf and Dumb. In 1824, he unveiled a Greek Revival temple in granite with a Doric columned portico and pediment. City residents took carriage rides to the wooded outskirts to see the new landmark.

The building was expanded in 1838 by William Strickland, the Greek Revival master who had built the Second Bank of the United States, Merchants’ Exchange, U.S. Naval Home, and reconstructed Independence Hall steeple. For the institution, Strickland added the inset arches on the sides of the main building and the wings that extend north and south along Broad Street.

The building was doubled in size in 1875 by Frank Furness, who designed the brick extensions that stretch to 15th Street in his distinctive style of Victorian Gothic. He also built the low carriage house and the long brick walls that enclose the rear wings. A year later, Furness built the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts.

The University of the Arts – formerly the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art and then the Philadelphia College of Art -- has occupied the building since 1893. The school boasts that it is the oldest extant building on Broad.

"Look Up" Bookbinder's

"Look Up" Spirit of '76 on Chestnut

"Look Up" Eyre design in Chestnut Hill 

"Look Up" St. Charles Hotel

"Look Up" Beaux Arts beauty at Penn

"Look Up" Moderne and Machine Age Schools

"Look Up" Frank Miles Day mansions
"Look Up" Thomas Ustick Walter's columns

"Look Up"  Jacob Reed Building

"Look Up" Ronald McDonald House 

"Look Up" Jeweler's Row

"Look Up" Abington's flirtation with Hollywood

"Look Up" Rittenhouse Square's stables

"Look Up" Fairmount's contribution to the row home dynamic

"Look Up" Drexel's Poth Dynasty

"Look Up" Wright's Ardmore Experiment

"Look Up" Contemporary neighbors in Society Hill

"Look Up" Imaginative Eyre on Locust Street

"Look Up!" Elfreth's Alley has issues

"Look Up" Architectural exercises on Boathouse Row

"Look Up!" John Notman's brownstone temples

"Look Up!" 19th Century luxe on Locust St.

"Look Up!: 20th Century evolution in East Falls

"Look Up!" Rural retreats in Northeast Philly

"Look Up!" Modernist lines on Haverford Ave.

"Look Up!" Chestnut Hill's modernist gems

"Look Up" Furness Chapel
Contact the writer at ajaffe@planphilly.com.



"Look Up!" The Art Deco Palace of Mt. Airy
"Look Up! An architect's legacy on Spruce Street

"Look Up!" The French Village in Mt. Airy

"Look Up" and check out the nouveau mansions of North Broad

"Look Up" and check out elegant Southwark
"Look Up" and check out Henry Disston's company town
"Look Up: and check out Spruce Hill
"Look Up" and check out Green Street
"Look Up" and check out West Laurel Hill
"Look Up" and check out Parkside
"Look Up" and check out Awbury Arboretum
"Look Up" and check out Nicetown
"Look Up" and check out Overbrook Farms
"Look Up" and check out Girard Estate
"Look Up" and check out Rittenhouse/Fitler Square

About the author

Alan Jaffe, Contributor

Alan Jaffe has been a contributing writer for PlanPhilly since 2008, focusing on overlooked buidlings and historic preservation issues. He was a writer and editor in the newspaper industry for nearly 30 years, including eight at the Philadelphia Inquirer and nine at the South Jersey Courier-Post. He is currently the director of communications for the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society. He is also an antiques writer and collector and the author of “J. Chein & Co.: A Collector’s Guide to an American Toymaker.”

ajaffe@planphilly.com



blog comments powered by Disqus

Article Information

Location

Recent Comments on PlanPhilly

Powered by Disqus

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Which weekly emails would you like to receive?