A Germantown private school and a local developer are moving forward with plans that would see a long-empty and historic Wayne Avenue church property transformed into a new elementary campus.
Developer Ken Weinstein has an agreement in place to buy and restore the two-acre St. Peter's Episcopal Church property, at the corner of Wayne Avenue and Harvey Street.
The site would become the new home to the independent Waldorf School of Philadelphia, now located on the New Covenant campus at 7500 Germantown Ave.
The move to 6008 Wayne Ave. would give the school some room to grow, adding to its classes in preschool through grade 8.
It could also save the St. Peter's campus from ongoing deterioration to the Gothic stone church, chapel, rectory and parish house, designed and built between 1873 and 1883 by Frank Furness and George Hewitt.
Amy Z. Quinn developed an interest in planning and land use while covering rapidly-developing South Jersey suburbs for the Philadelphia Inquirer, and later wrote extensively about urban and beachfront redevelopment for the Asbury Park Press.