At the intersection of Cranky Joe's Sports Bar and Billy Murphy's Irish Saloonery in East Falls, there's a new development in the works.
For now, it's just four, single-family dwellings on a long-vacant lot.
But some of the neighbors are worried about how fast the project has been moving and the stability of the land on which they are rising.
The site at Conrad Street and Indian Queen Lane was once the home of the John Hohenadel Brewery, also known as the Falls Brewery.
For nearly 60 years, it employed dozens of area residents. The brewery shut down in 1952. A soft-drink company occupied the building until 1959, and was vacant thereafter.
The empty structure became an eyesore and target for vandals, and in 1997, following outrage by neighbors and then-Councilman Michael Nutter, it was declared imminently dangerous by the Department of Licenses & Inspections.
Demolition soon followed, but the site's bad reputation seems to linger.
Alan Jaffe has been a contributing writer for PlanPhilly since 2008, focusing on overlooked buidlings and historic preservation issues. He was a writer and editor in the newspaper industry for nearly 30 years, including eight at the Philadelphia Inquirer and nine at the South Jersey Courier-Post. He is currently the director of communications for the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society. He is also an antiques writer and collector and the author of “J. Chein & Co.: A Collector’s Guide to an American Toymaker.”