Race Street Pier. Credit: Matt Stanley
Race Street Pier. Credit: Matt Stanley
The Delaware River Waterfront Corporation (DRWC) announced the full 2014 season of events along the Central Delaware Waterfront. The summer season includes dozens of FREE events ranging from a weekly movie screening in July and August, to The United States Army Band, “Pershing’s Own” playing on the RiverStage followed by the Adventure Aquarium Waterfront Fireworks Celebration, to a full bill of PECO Multicultural Festivals. These events will run in conjunction with the debut of Spruce Street Harbor Park, a two-month summer program throughout July and August that will bring a boardwalk, urban beach, fountains, and misting areas to the Delaware River Waterfront. The centerpiece of the project is a series of floating barges complete with lily pad water gardens, a pop-up restaurant and bar, and nets that will suspend visitors over the water.
· Art Star Craft Bazaar – Saturday and Sunday, May 10-11, at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing. This annual juried arts and crafts retail show has 120 vendors expected to participate. In its 11th year, the Art Star Craft Bazaar is Philadelphia’s most cutting edge craft fair.
· Love Your Park Events<http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.com/uploads/files/743460371418358610-love-your-park-2014-summer-season-fact-sheet-final.pdf> – Saturday, May 10, at Washington Avenue Green andFriday, May 16, at the Race Street Pier. Celebrate Philadelphia parks with two events on the waterfront. Love Your Park Crafts Day encourages neighborhood residents to visit the park for a day of craft making and food, all in celebration of Mother’s Day. Picnic in the Park will turn the Race Street Pier into a FREE public picnic complete with blankets, pillows, music, food and drinks.
· The PECO Multicultural Series<http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.com/uploads/files/75528471795404687-peco-multicultural-series-2014-summer-season-fact-sheet-final.pdf> – Throughout the summer at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing. The PECO Multicultural Festivals are a series of annual events that have celebrated Philadelphia’s diverse culture for over 15 years. The PECO Multicultural Series consists of the following celebrations: Israel 66, Irish American Festival, Islamic Heritage Festival, Portuguese Heritage Festival, Hispanic Fiesta, Southeast Asian Dragon Boat Festival, ACANA Festival, Festival of India, Caribbean Festival, Mexican Independence Day Festival, and the new Brazilian Day Philadelphia
· Make Music Philly Day<http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.com/uploads/files/273871754770576416-make-music-philly-day-2014-summer-season-fact-sheet-final.pdf> – Saturday, June 21, at the Race Street Pier and the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing. Celebrate the first day of summer with a full day of free live performances throughout the city and along the waterfront. The day will culminate with a large scale musical event at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing coordinated by WXPN, DRWC and Live Nation.
· Independence Week on the Waterfront<http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.com/uploads/files/38070924389134473-4th-of-july-2014-summer-season-fact-sheet-final.pdf> – July 1 – July 6, at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing and Spruce Street Harbor Park. The week’s events include the Super Scooper “All-You-Can-Eat” Ice Cream Festival, the Philadelphia Orchestra FREE 2014 Neighborhood Concert, and The United States Army Band, “Pershing’s Own” playing on the RiverStage followed by the Adventure Aquarium Waterfront Fireworks Celebration
· Screenings Under the Stars<http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.com/uploads/files/472430307961824122-screenings-under-the-stars-2014-summer-season-fact-sheet-final.pdf> – Thursdays in July and August (except forJuly 31), film begins at dusk, approximately 8 PM in July and 8:30PM in August, at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing. Movies include: The Goonies, The Hunger Games - Catching Fire, Gravity, Ride Along, Jaws, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Frozen and the Lego Movie
· Smooth Jazz Summer Nights<http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.com/uploads/files/943233657923609176-smooth-jazz-2014-summer-season-fact-sheet-final.pdf> – Fridays in August, 7:30 PM concert at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing. Nationally-renowned talent includes Next Generation, Chris Strandring, David Benoit, Eric Darius, and Valerie Simpson
· Sounds of Inspiration Concert<http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.com/uploads/files/723992060815396567-sounds-of-inspiration-2014-summer-season-fact-sheet-final.pdf> – Saturday, August 23, at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing. Nationally-acclaimed gospel artists include performances by Smokie Norful, Kierra Sheard, VaShawn Mitchell, and more.
· Yoga on the Race Street Pier<http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.com/uploads/files/430581727322756815-yoga-on-the-rsp-2014-summer-season-fact-sheet-final.pdf> – Every day of the week except for Wednesdays, enjoy a free, all-level yoga class at the Race Street Pier, taught by instructors from Dhyana Yoga.
· Paddle Penn’s Landing<http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.com/uploads/files/551128976602081505-paddle-penn-s-landing-2014-summer-season-fact-sheet-final.pdf> – The Paddle Penn’s Landing program will return for its 4th year, offering opportunities to test your skills at kayaking or pedal boating in one of the swan boats. Single kayaks, tandem kayaks, and swan boats made for two are all available for rental.
· Live Nation<http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.com/uploads/files/818896687902496495-live-nation-summer-2014-press-release.pdf> – All summer at Festival Pier, the RiverStage at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing, and the Susquehanna Bank Center. Some highlights for the summer include: The Roots Picnic, Mad Decent Block Party, BECK, Zac Brown Band, The FRAY, Calvin Harris, Brad Paisley, John Butler Trio, Panic at the Disco, Dave Matthews Band, and many more.
SPRUCE STREET HARBOR PARK
Spruce Street Harbor Park<http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.com/press-room/spruce-street-harbor-park> engages the river in a reimagining of summer on the waterfront. Starting the last weekend in June, waterfront visitors will be able to lounge in a hammock park, read a book on the wave lawn, take in a cool summer night by fire pits, and eat delicious food while relaxing on a net strung over the water. With the help of an ArtPlace America Grant, and the vision of David Fierabend from Groundswell Design Group, DRWC is completely transforming this riverfront space with landscaping, programming, and art installations influenced by the maritime history of the area, the River’s industrial past, and the bright future ahead for Philadelphia’s waterfront.
The DRWC website, www.delawareriverwaterfront.com<http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.com/>, is a user-friendly, virtual resource to help visitors easily plan to park, play, and stay all day. Find suggestions for great activities, shows, restaurants, and attractions on both the Philadelphia and Camden Waterfronts in addition to nearby Old City, the Historic District, South Street, and more.
All Philadelphia events along the Delaware River Waterfront take place at one of the following locations:
Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing: 101 S. Columbus Blvd. at Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, 19106
Walnut Plaza at Penn’s Landing: Columbus Blvd. at Walnut Street and, Philadelphia, 19106
Race Street Pier: Columbus Blvd. at Race Street, Philadelphia, 19106
The Marina at Penn’s Landing: 401 S. Columbus Blvd. at Dock Street, Philadelphia, 19106
Spruce Street Harbor Park: Columbus Blvd. at Spruce Street, Philadelphia, 19106