The Pennsylvania Environmental Council (PEC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization thatprotects and restores the natural and built environments through innovation, collaboration, education and advocacy. At the heart of our success is our belief in the value of partnerships with the private sector, government, communities and individuals to improve the quality of life for all Pennsylvanians. The Southeast Office, located in Center City Philadelphia, is one of four regional offices across Pennsylvania and actively engages in both infrastructure projects and policy initiatives that promote land and water-based recreational opportunities, sustainable transportation and stormwater management, as well as ecological restoration along the Delaware River. We are a leader in developing regional bicycle and pedestrian trails and are currently working to complete the East Coast Greenway in Pennsylvania.
The Mobile Demonstration Coordinator is a part time position (20 hours/ week, primarily on weekends) that supports PEC’s and the City of Philadelphia’s commitment to promoting Philadelphia Bike Share prior to its April 2015 launch. The Coordinator will manage logistics and staffing of a demonstration booth which will be installed at various locations throughout the city. The mobile booth (transported via Bike Share bicycle) will provide an opportunity for visitors to learn more about Bike Share and test ride a bike. The coordinator will collect names and contact information from visitors, effectively communicate the goals, objectives and opportunities of Bike Share and provide general education to the public. The Coordinator position also provides leadership opportunities through management of other part time employees (additional booth staff).
The Mobile Demonstration Coordinator reports to Tony Spagnoli, Program Manager.
1. Coordinate scheduling of a mobile demonstration booth at various locations and events throughout the city. Likely locations will be Penn’s Landing, Schuylkill Banks, environmental educations centers, farmer’s markets and targeted neighborhoods.
2. Coordinate scheduling and logistics of the booth locations and additional staff.
3. Educate about Philadelphia Bike Share in a fun and engaging manner and solicit contact information from booth visitors. Provide opportunities for visitors to ask questions, sign up for more information, and test ride a Bike Share bike.
4. Transport bike and booth via Bike Share bicycle from storage (location TBD) to demonstration site. The demonstration site may change on a weekly or daily basis.
5. Set up demonstration booth (tent, table, signs, collateral material).
6. Represent PEC and the City of Philadelphia in a professional and charismatic fashion.
Specific Required Skills:
1. The Coordinator will be the initial “face of Bike Share” and as such should be personable, charismatic, and outgoing.
2. Management Responsibilities: Coordinator will manage the scheduling of additional booth staff. The candidate should have strong interpersonal skills.
3. Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
4. Physically able to ride a bicycle towing a small trailer (~30 pounds of additional weight) up to 10 miles a day.
5. Physically able to stand for long periods of time.
6. Knowledge of urban cycling and bike share programs is highly desirable.
7. Enthusiasm for cycling is highly desirable.
Qualifications - The successful candidate will:
Possess a background or experience in environmental education, outdoor recreation, urban studies, communications, business, or a related field. Have outstanding communications and interpersonal skills. Be capable of scheduling themselves and others. Have experience in public outreach, communications or advocacy. Be available most weekends throughout the summer.
This is a part time position. Compensation is $15/ hour for approximately 20 hours per week. The Coordinator will be employed through the summer with the position terminating in mid-September.
Locations will vary and will likely be within Zone 1 (Center City) of the Bike Share rollout with some work outside of that immediate area.
Please email expressions of interest and resume to Tony Spagnoli to firstname.lastname@example.org before Monday, June 9th.