Like many others, Councilman Brian O’Neill is finding changes he wants to make to the city’s year-old zoning code. But unlike others, and unlike his own previous efforts to change the…
Angora is a neighborhood in West Philadelphia. It is bounded by Cobb’s Creek in the southwest, Whitby Avenue to the southeast, Christian Street to the northwest, and 52nd street to the northeast. The neighborhood was originally founded by Robert and George Callaghan in 1863. They named it “Ankara” after the capital of Turkey. Up until the beginning of the 20th century, this area was very sparsely populated, surrounded by woodlands and seemingly separate from the city. Its only significant structure was the Callaghan textile mill. But between 1900 and 1920, the area began to be developed. During these years a mill that produced yarn and a factory that produced glass were constructed, creating a mostly industrial neighborhood. A few residences were constructed between 1918 and 1920, mostly on the 5800 block of Baltimore Avenue and in a former woodland known as Sherwood Forest. In 2005, the Philadelphia City Planning Commission certified this neighborhood as blighted, but certain portions of the area, such as Angora Terrace, are relatively well maintained.
There are no upcoming events in this neighborhood. Feel free to contact us with your contributions.